Wednesday 6 August 2014

TRY THIS - Slow, Elegant Time Keeping


I bought this watch on-line. It's a smaller ladies pocket watch and that fact, along with it £10 price tag drove me to buy the timepiece. Its parts are Swiss made, but the German-American company Lucerne, that appears on its face, assembled it. In the 50s Lucerne, a family-owned jeweller, conducted business from its headquarters on 5th Avenue in New York City. The watch dates between 1960 and 1970. I imagined finding a chain and fob to go with the watch and wearing it in my pocket as designed. But tracking down necessary watch accessories that I like has proved difficult. Then last week I found this tiny beaded purse with a silk faille lining, probably circa 1950s, at The Children's Society charity shop on Pitshanger Lane in Ealing. The perfect home for my watch, little purse and ticker fit neatly in my pocket. At times I'm still required to don a wristwatch, but when I'm able to carry the pocket watch I find the ceremony of removing it from its pouch an elegant process that reminds me time is precious indeed. Both watch and purse, tactile and useful, feel lovely in my hand. The tiny vintage bag was just 99p.  
Tweet your 2nd-hand gems to @annielistening #best2ndever 

2 comments:

Katriona said...

Love this post! That watch is so lovely :)

Anmarie said...

It's also a wind-up, no battery required. A low tech lovely.