Friday 2 January 2015

FOUND - Style You Can Take to the Bank


I found this Christian Dior coat circa 1990 in my mom's closet. She hadn't worn it in years and most of the shiny CD-inscribed buttons were missing. She happily let me have it, and while it took me ages to find decent button replacements, it was worth the effort. Through much of my life, my mom worked at The Metropolitan Bank, a locally-owned savings institution in the small Ohio town where I grew up. She 'dressed' five days a week, decked out in a skirt suit, heels and pantyhose. After years of service, the bank gave her this ring, another style marker in my mother's life that she passed on to me. 


I can picture her in The Met Bank, a good-looking, highly accomplished career woman who could count money really fast. To this day her style and confident attitude influences what I wear and who I am. Barbara Ann, my mother, looked formidable but feminine in this spectacularly long coat. Because I walk and take public transport, I've toughened it up, making the military topper urban, edgy, and just a little bit punk. Donning something that belonged to my mom feels as once stylish and safe. Nab a bit of kit from your mom, gran, sister, auntie or even your dad - it feels good to keep fashion in the family.

Happy New Year Style Hunters - 
All the Best in 2015!

No comments: