Wednesday 21 January 2015

TRY THIS - Teachings of Untouched Toys


At 50-years-old, I find I'm still attracted to dolls. I couldn't resist this wee Japanese cutie, spotted at the Octavia charity shop in Ealing last week for £1.50. The white porcelain lady was a gift from a friend, the tiny pink mistress - a brooch - was found on Ebay CLICK HERE and the brush babe an 'as-is' bargain buy CLICK HERE. When I was a girl, I loved my dolls with abandon, resulting in Barbies with mismatched shoes and a Raggedy Ann that was far more raggedy than Ann. 


I wonder if my grown-up fascination is misguided atonement for the childish, even reckless attention I lavished on dollies long gone? Sadly these modern-day dears pictured, collected and cared for, enjoy no fun and games. These are fashion curios rather than play things. These do not star in immature but imaginative dramas, they do not converse with green plastic Army men or ride about on the shoulders of hand-knit teddy bears. A lesson for this living doll? Indeed. At 50, at any age maybe, let me be a moppet with mismatched shoes rather than an impeccable figurine, cherished but untouched. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Spanish lady and costume dolls - dusty souvenirs come home with me :) As you say a memento mori for a 'keeping it for best' attitude to pretty much anything!

Anmarie said...

Clothes - wear them in, wear them out, let them live! PS - I love Spanish lady dolls!

Anonymous said...

Also, love the textile in first photo.
Also, also, need to give blogging another go lol

Anmarie said...

The textile is a small bed cover that's velvet on one side and silk on the other. Bought at Peter Jones year and years ago. Def try blogging! It's a sort of interesting experiment...you've got your first follower in me ;)

Anonymous said...

Will give it another go - Huntress has also showed me that you can do this without selfies (something I hate, not being the most photogenic). And I love the connections (well, most of them) that blogging can generate ... will PM you on Twitter :)