Monday 26 January 2015

FOUND - Dress Takes A Kew from Batik


I found this cotton dress by Kew at the Trinity Hospice charity shop near the South Kensington tube station. It combines two of my favourite style turns - a shirt waist and a vibrant pattern. This fabric is aping traditional batik, a printing process that uses wax to displace dye. Wax is brushed or drawn on parts of the fabric. Dye adheres to the un-waxed areas, leaving behind the desired pattern. If this dress were made from actual batik cloth I'd feel like I'd won the lottery. My batik-ish garment is more like finding a tenner in an old handbag; not the lottery but lucky all the same. I'll push the seasons by pairing it with a wool hacking jacket and tights for an early Spring dress debut, but once Summer arrives (and it will) this cotton staple will come into its own teamed with espadrilles and a straw bag. A fantastic find at just, you guessed it, £10.
     

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous design and colour. I love batik and that print on print thing. What a find!

Anmarie said...

Thanks - love this dress, dying to wear it. Blogging: do it, we need a few more fashion/style blogs that DON'T feature selfies and Outfits of the Day (OOTD) etc. I hope to improve my photography skills over time and really feature "still life style" pictures. BTW - Are you on Twitter? Am I following you?

Anonymous said...

Yes I'm on Twitter and I think we're following each other on there (I'm @elainephipps) :)

Anmarie said...

YOU'RE ELAINE! Perfect...I've connected the dots. Finally! Now go forth and blog my friend. Your artwork might feature, your point-over-view is NOT run of the mill, and I'll never forget a photo of fresh flowers you recently tweeted. You're full of quality content already. Can't wait -