Monday 24 November 2014

FOUND - A Skirt With Muscle and Bustle


I found this 'selvege' skirt by Lulu & Red at Fara on Bond Street in Ealing. Founded in 2003, the brand quickly set up a concession in Topshop and was a popular seller online. Interestingly Lulu & Red cut size 12 prototypes that were then sized up and down, rather than a tiny initial sample size that had to be sized up. And up. It's a shape-changing starting point that other designers might consider employing. This clever skirt looks as if the wearer has pulled suiting fabric off the shelf and expertly wrapped it round herself. From the hand printed pink front to its bustle-effect back, it feels at once haberdashingly masculine and whimsically feminine. A bit of research seems to indicate the brand is no more, so you'll only find it 2nd-hand, all the better in fact. This was once a pricey piece of kit, but I got it for a snip at just £20. 

1 comment:

Evie said...

Hello. I am Evie and I love LULU & Red. I bought such a skirt from toposhop in early 2004. I still have it and enjoy wearing it. It is a timeless piece, with excellent quality, witty design and still in crisp shape! I have been looking to buy more stuff from them but never found anything sold onine. Thanks for the info! Well done!