Sunday 2 November 2014

BONUS POST - Hi Concept Low Down


I found this remarkable handbag in my local Ealing Oxfam.  A partnership dream team produced this bit of plastic fantastic.  Melissa, the contemporary shoemaker, joined with fellow Brazilians, designers Fernando and Humberto Campana to create this circle of style. Melissa is the famed cobbler responsible for jelly shoes of all shapes and hues. The shoemaker has partnered with everyone from punk queen Vivienne Westwood to renowned architect Zaha Hadid, developing brogues, sky-high heels, ballet flats and more, all in molded, soft, durable plastic. 


The Campanas, high-concept furniture designers from Sao Palo, patterned this Melissa + Campana bag on their iconic Favela Chair.  The word ‘favela’ came into our collective consciousness recently during the World Cup in Brazil. Favelas are akin to South African townships, American projects and British estates; the places where poor people live and attempt to form communities.  Research indicates that when new in 2005 this bag sold for US$100. I scooped it up for just £3.99.

Check out Huntress London on
High 50 CLICK HERE 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. I'd be happy just to admire it for its sculptural form. I imagine with colour from whatever you carry - it would morph into a stained glass/Tiffany glass piece :)) How lovely!

Anmarie said...

Spot on, I make a point of filling this bag with the brightest bits and bobs I've got. It really is one of my all-time faves. So striking...modern classic really.