Tuesday 10 March 2015

FOUND - Little Secrets, Lovely Style


I found these little ashtrays at the Children's Society charity shop on Pitshanger Lane in Ealing. I'll use them as ring rests or possibly pass them on to a lucky girl friend when a birthday comes calling. I consider these 'fashion curios' - sweet, unwearable objects that are style inspired. I've tried researching my pair of china dolls but have come up empty handed. The repeating graphic pattern around the edge looks to me like a dreidel, a Jewish toy top played with at Hanukkah but it could also be a teetotum, a gambling toy like dice, found in several European cultures. There's a marking on the bottom of each dish but so far it remains a mystery. If you know anything about these tiny trays, drop me a line in the comment section below, I'd love to hear from you. The darling duo set me back 99p. 


No comments: